Thursday, December 06, 2007

Facebook Steals Creative Works

Here's an excerpt from the Facebook user terms of agreement. I'm glad someone reads those things, 'cause it's almost always "scroll down, click accept" when I'm signing up for something.

"By posting User Content to any part of the Site, you automatically grant, and you represent and warrant that you have the right to grant, to the Company an irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive, transferable, fully paid, worldwide license (with the right to sublicense) to use, copy, publicly perform, publicly display, reformat, translate, excerpt (in whole or in part) and distribute such User Content for any purpose, commercial, advertising, or otherwise, on or in connection with the Site or the promotion thereof, to prepare derivative works of, or incorporate into other works, such User Content, and to grant and authorize sublicenses of the foregoing."


Via The Little Chimp Society.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

On reading this, I'm already in breach of the agreement.

It suggests that by posting material, I need to have the right to grant them permission to use it.

Therefore, if I post a YouTube clip (which I don't have rights to grant permission of) then I'm in breach.

Sounds pretty stupid to me.