Thursday, December 20, 2007

Some more responses from Portfolios.com members...


This post is a follow-up to this one, which is a follow-up to this one.

I received a couple more responses from Portfolios.com members (I sent them e-mails asking how the site worked out for them).

Here's one:

Hi Joe,

I've been on portfolios.com for about 7 years now. I've had one illustration job from the US. After getting that job I was inspired to pay the hefty fee for 1 year. Nothing else ever eventuated. The year i signed up they promised that they were going to start promoting the site in Australia, they never did. Australian clients don't use it. My advice, go for the free listing because you might just get lucky - but to ensure your name ranks as high as possible on the search listing, change details on your page weekly - simply adding a new keyword helps because it ranks the most recently updated pages higher.


And another:

Hi Joe

Thanks for your email. Your website and work is great!

Yep I agree with the other illustrators. I have got nothing out of it, but I did get a very cheap deal when both my husband and I took a folio, but still have not made our money back!

I don't think these sites are supposed to work to get you jobs per se, but there are just so many portfolios to sift through, (and in my opinion on Portfolios.com does not have a particularly outstanding level of illustrator) that you just get lost in the crowd.

I say invest your money elsewhere. If you are not a member of Illustrators Australia it's worth joining to have your work in the book and on our site

So there it is.

I am a member of Illustrators Australia, and it's worked out pretty well so far. For the first time in my fledgling career I'm having people contact me for work, rather than the other way around, which is a big step forward. I have Illustrators Australia to thank for that one.

Looks like for the time being I'll just focus on promoting my work locally.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We now live in a wonderful, highly connected world. Works wonders when you're looking to buy widgets which many people make and are mostly always the same.

People have also become very accustomed to the mass marketing tactics used today.

Put both of those together, along with trying to sell unique works, and the mass market directory style promotion just doesn't cut it (IMHO).

1. Creating a brand for yourself by continually producing incredible work.

2. Build relationships with as many as you can. Work also on those that influence and have power in the industry.

3. Diversify your marketing but keep focused on the personal touch.

It's the relationship you have with others that will win you to deals. Not the fact that you're on a directory of other illustrators.

That's what I reckon anyway.

Anonymous said...

Let me add a little more to that ...

Illustrators Australia probably works well because it's focus is more local. It appears nicely targeted.

People who want to hire locals who they can trust (and easily sue if it turns sour) may turn to places like IA.

I believe people still fear outsourcing work to placed like Bangalore. If the product is repeatable, then fine it should work. Otherwise, go local.