Monday, October 09, 2006

TV stuff.

I've been doing a bit of work as a Production Assistant on a few TV commercials and music videos. They've finished editing a couple of them, which you can download:

The Bleeders - Night Sky
This was a music video for New Zealand punk band The Bleeders. The song got a bit tedious after having to listen to it for about 15 times in a row. The only visible contribution I made in this video are the passing headlights you see every now and again in the car scenes - that was all me, baby.

Herbal Essences - Stalker
This is a TV commercial for shampoo. I'm not too sure about the Home Alone-esque music, but I was there during some of the editing, and the alternative hardcore techno track didn't work much better. The shoot was pretty fun, even though I had to wake up at 4.30am. I got to say "Action!" and "Cut!" over a walkie-talkie, which was awesome. I'm pretty sure this was only done for in-house promotions, so there's not much chance of this one being broadcast on TV.

The other stuff I've worked on is still in post production. I've got another music video shoot tomorrow for Something With Numbers in a hospital, which sounds like fun.

3 comments:

Catherine said...

Herbal Essences - I think it's meant to be more "Desperate Housewives" than "Home Alone". But techno would not have worked at all...

And I'm waiting for the music video to download... but it sounds cool from the few seconds I heard. It looks so different from the photos you posted in your flickr stream, where everything was lit up (somewhat).
Man, I never thought I'd actually want to see a blooper with the production staff accidentally in the background of a shot. *grins*
I do like that video clip! You're doing good stuff!
Remember to thank me for being your friend when you're famous!

Joe said...

Ah, I've never watched Desperate Housewives, but that sounds like it makes more sense than Home Alone.

The reason the music vid looks so different than the photos I took is 'cause of the digital colour grading they do during post. With this one they kind of desaturated it heaps and darkened it quite a bit as well. I like the look.

From what I've seen, it's common practice to shoot much brighter than you need, 'cause you can always darken in post. Brightening something in post is a not a good idea, unless you want lots of ugly artifacts popping up.

I don't really know if you'd want to be my friend if I was famous. I'd probably go on some kind of downward drug spiral, buy a gun, shoot a horse, and then get arrested. Then I'd pick up the pieces and make a movie about it all. It's gonna be awesome.

Catherine said...

I don't know that I want to be your friend while you're famous and on your spiral into madness, but I definitely want to be there for acceptance speeches, meeting hollywood eyecandy and when you're being awesome.
Just don't flip out like Tom Cruise. I'm not sure I could stand by that level of crazy.

The more I think about it, the Desperate Housewives thing seems more appropriate. The stalker is behaving much like Terri Hatcher's character (at least in the first season - I haven't seen the second), so I think they're deliberately making the association.

I really liked the way the music vid came out. It's got a nice gritty feeling while still looking very clean (probably because of the way it was darkened in post). I can't wait to see it on rage in the next few weeks.