Monday, September 17, 2007

And now, the Marx Brothers...

No drawings today, but I thought I'd post a clip from one of my favourite movies of all time, Duck Soup, with the Marx Brothers. It's the infamous mirror scene. I dare you not to smile:



Marx Brothers fans will be rolling their eyes. This is one of the most well-known - hence clichéd - scenes to geek out on, but I'm posting it here because, with the exception of two people, no one I know has ever seen a single Marx Brothers movie. I'm here to educate.

This scene is so wonderfully executed. It's classic physical comedy, but in that true Marx Brothers fashion that breaks all the rules. I just love the way the routine begins to fall apart towards the end, intentionally of course, but they still hold it together. It's the sort of zany self-referential comedy, born out of vaudeville stage shows, that inspired Mel Brooks films, Mad Magazine and contemporary shows like Scrubs and Arrested Development.

One of my favourite things about Marx Brothers movies was their ability to mix crazy physical antics and witty dialogue with amazing musical talent. I'm gonna post one more clip before I stop acting like a total nerd here. This is Chico Marx playing the piano in Go West:



Let me know if you found this interesting or if I'm boring you to death here.

No comments: